Code of Conduct for Teaching Staff
In fulfillment of their obligations to the teaching profession, teachers will strive to:
- Advance the interests of the teaching profession through responsible, ethical practices.
- Regard themselves as learners and engage in continual professional development.
- Be truthful when making a statement about their qualifications and competencies.
- Contribute to the development and promotion of sound educational policy.
- Contribute to the development of an open and reflective professional culture.
- Treat colleagues and associates with respect, working with them in a very congenial environment.
- Assist newcomers to the profession, a disclosure is required by the law or serves a compelling professional purpose.
- Respect confidential information as and when necessary.
- Speak out if the behavior of a colleague is seriously in breach of this code.
RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
- Faculty must handle the subjects assigned by the Head of Department (HOD).
- Faculty must complete the syllabus in time. Faculty shall produce good results in the subjects handled by them and are accountable for the same.
- Tutor – Ward system must be effectively implemented. Faculty shall monitor the respective group of students who are attached to them.
- Assignment topics for each course are to be given to the students within a week of the beginning of the semester.
- Assignments should be written in notebooks. The notebooks are to be collected from the students in time and returned to the students after correction.
- Two mid exams are to be conducted in a semester. Answer books are to be valued, and marks are to be informed to the students. Marks for the assignments, mid tests, seminars if attended are to be entered in the counseling report.
- Faculty should be good counselors and facilitators. They should help, guide, encourage and assist the students in ensuring that the teaching-learning process is effective and successful. Value-based education must be their motto.
- Faculty should maintain decorum both inside and outside the classroom and set a good example to the students.
- Faculty should carry out other academic, co-curricular and organizational activities that may be assigned to them from time to time.
DRESS CODE: FACULTY
Following is the dress code for the faculty of institute:
Gentlemen: Formals with tucked in shirts. Shoes are matching with the belt.
Ladies: Saree / Punjabi dress with dupatta
- It is mandatory for students and staff to always display ID cards when they are on campus.
- Faculty should avoid taking ID cards from students when they are involved in undesirable activities. ID cards can be demanded only to ascertain the identity of students. After noting the details of the student, ID card must be returned to the student concerned on the spot.
COMMUNICATING WITH PARENTS:
Faculty should not summon parents to the institute under any circumstances. Parents shall be invited to the campus only on the recommendation of the college discipline committee or for parents meeting date in coordination with HOD and principal.
STUDENTS – LATE COMING:
- Students should not be denied admission into the classrooms/laboratories when they report late for the classes. However, such students shall automatically lose attendance for those classes.
- Faculty must desist from awarding physical punishments to students indulging in misbehavior in the classrooms. However, they can warn such students or report to the HOD/Principal for necessary action.
- Cases of indiscipline, misbehavior or insubordination should be dealt at with individuals at HOD or principal level as such faculty should not threaten the students in the name of marks or other punitive action for their lapses or indiscipline.
- Staff members must take attendance within first 5 minutes of starting the period.
- Latecomers should not be denied admission to the classes for being late. However, such students need not be given attendance.
- Faculty is advised to refrain from awarding punishments like:
- Dismissal from the classrooms,
- Making them stand in and outside the classrooms,
- Not marking attendance
- Troublemakers in the classrooms must be reported to the HOD/Principal/Director for further action.
- Students violating dress code must not be allowed to attend the lecture classes, laboratories, and library. Faculty members must report such cases to the administrative office for canceling attendance for the day.
Ever faculty must maintain a course file for each subject offered during semester/year. It shall have following details: syllabus, lecture plan, lecture notes for each period, date and time for preparation, date and time for delivery.
CLASS ADJUSTMENT BEFORE GOING ON LEAVE:
· As per the rules of the institute staff members must adjust their classes and show the consent of the substitute faculty to the HOD before going on leave.
· All the staff members are advised to strictly follow the above procedure; failing which the leave will be treated as unauthorized with loss of pay.
PROCEDURE FOR RELIEF OF RESIGNATION:
· As per the service rules of the Institute, faculty members intending to resign are required to give two months’ notice.
· The staff should deposit following original Certificates.
- 10th or equivalent
- 12th or equivalent
- B.Tech & M.Tech / B.Sc. &M.Sc. /M.Phil./Ph.D.
· Institute reserves the right to relieve the staff at any time during the notice period.
INSTRUCTIONS TO INVIGILATORS:
- Report to the chief superintendent at least 30 minutes before the commencement of examination. Collect the seating arrangement, examination stationery and be present at the respective hall at least 15 minutes before the commencement of examination.
- The candidates should be present in the examination halls before the commencement of examination and no candidate should be allowed after the commencement examination. Ensure that the candidate should not carry any material except hall ticket, ID card, and non-programmable calculator into the examination halls. Programmable calculators, cell phones, and other electronic items are not allowed for the examinations.
- Ensure that the relevant question papers are given for distribution in the hall.
- Candidates are not allowed to leave the examination hall until 3 hours from the commencement of examination.
- Please ensure to collect the answer book from the candidates before they leave the examination hall.
- Malpractice cases, if any, should be reported to the chief superintendent immediately. Invigilators should not take the liberty of condoning the defaulters by giving oral warning.
NORMS FOR CONDUCTING UNIVERSITY PRACTICAL EXAMINATIONS:
· Practical examinations should be conducted in the respective laboratories/workshops/drawing Halls only.
· Both the examiners (internal and external) should assess the students for 50% of marks allotted for practical assignments. Internal examiners have to brief the external examiners regarding the allocation of marks for each component of the practical activity.
· Marks must be noted on the answer sheets indicating the marks awarded for each component of the practical activity.
· Both the examiners must sign on the answer sheets as well as on the award lists.
FACULTY EMPOWERMENT AND FINANCIAL STRATEGIES:
- Institute provides financial support to attend the one international conference of repute. They are provided with 50% registration fees and one side transport fare by shortest distance.
- The institute provides upto 100% registration fees of Workshop/Fdp/Refresher Courses / Orientation Programs at reputed institutes.
- Institute provides free transport facility to all the employees from nearest place from their residence around and across the Hyderabad.
- Institute provides maternity leave to the female staff according to the norms.
- Institute provides 12 casual leaves in a academic year. And all other leaves as per the JNTUH norms.
- Institute provides paid leave to attend Workshops/ Seminars/ Conferences/ FDPs.
- Employees who have completed 6 years are eligible to get a laptop as an incentive from the institute.
- Institute provides opportunities to all employees to associate with state, national and international professional bodies.
- Institute encourages teaching, non teaching staff to participate in Workshops, Conferences, FDPs for their continuous developments.
- Institute appreciates and support employees to conduct training programs and arrange industrial visits.
- Institute does believe in equality and provide equal opportunity / support to non teaching staff too, to get enroll themselves for different courses / training programs to enhance their skills and knowledge to update themselves according to demand / change.
- To develop administrative skills, institute avail employees to attend corporate training programs inside/out side college.
- Institute provides FDPs and various training programs to our faculties to upgrade their knowledge, teaching skills, methodology and personality.
- Institute motivates staff to have good relationship with other organizations and to participate in various programs conducted by them.
- Institute has given opportunities to staff to conduct/attend webinars of IUCEE, IEEE and AICTE for learn / share knowledge about recent / current changes, developments in different sectors.
- As to have a better command on their respective subjects, the institute invites corporate persons professionals and market resource persons such as researchers, industrialist and academicians to have interaction with the faculty. These people will share their knowledge on basis of that staff to upgrade his/her knowledge accordingly.
Institute always welcome new ideas from the experienced faculty about lecture delivery, laboratory work and seminars/ workshops, to provide guidelines to the new family members. They may have one – two – one interaction or common lecture as mini workshop.
- Faculty members belonging to all branches may be notified as associate professors right from the date of joining provided they possess post-graduate qualifications. These promotions are need-based, i.e., to fulfill the cadre ratio required as per AICTE norms.
- Faculty members belonging to other disciplines shall be promoted to assistant professors based on university selection only.
- Ph.D. holders having minimum five years’ experience shall be promoted as professors irrespective of their discipline and selection by the university.
- Staff belonging to basic sciences &humanities with five years of teaching experience (in engineering Colleges) shall be considered for promotion as associate professors without insisting on Ph.D. or university selection.
- Promotion to the cadre of professor is either through the university selection committee or governing body only.
- While promoting staff to higher cadre, due weight shall be given to feedback, involvement in extra-curricular activities and administrative responsibilities.
- Experienced candidates working in reputed institutes may be given pay protection without insisting on fulfilling the above norms.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES OF HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT:
HOD is responsible for conducting all academic programmes of the department as per the norms of affiliating university. In pursuance of above objective he/she is required:
- To formulate timetables to provide adequate contact hours to complete the syllabus well in time while providing ample time for conducting personality development programmes and sports.
- To train and update the faculty to deliver good instruction to the students.
- To ensure proper evaluation of student’s performance and take remedial action to improve the performance of slow learners.
- To maintain harmonious relations between students and faculty while ensuring discipline and ethical behavior of students.
SPECIFIC DUTIES OF HOD:
- HOD’s are responsible for ensuring that all classes are held as per the time – table and make alternate arrangement for the class work of teachers absent on that day. Recommend for disciplinary action against those availing leave without prior arrangement for class work.
- HOD’s must verify the student attendance registers on every weekend to check for proper marking of attendance and implementation of lecture plans. They should forward all the registers on the last working day of every month to the director’s perusal.
- HOD’s are responsible for going around the class rooms and laboratories to ensure the decorum and discipline as per time-table.
- Should convene meetings of faculty twice in a fortnight to review academic and research activities of the Department.
- HOD’s should arrange guest lectures, preferably in a specialization related to the department to widen the horizons of knowledge. Prepare a list of eminent people who could be invited to deliver guest lectures.
- Should monitor students’ development and problems through feedback and counseling.
- Should appoint faculty counselors to meet the needs of students suffering from the effects of stress and peer pressure.
DISCIPLINE IN COLLEGE BUSES:
- All female staff members traveling in college buses should sit in the front, and male staff members should sit in the last row to maintain the discipline in the Buses.
- Transport in-charge is requested to report the compliance of above instruction to the undersigned immediately.
- Senior faculty members are once again requested to keep a strict vigil on the students indulging in ragging or in any activities that might disturb the environment.
DUTIES OF LAB-TECHNICIAN:
- Any unexpected breakdowns of laboratory machines/ equipment’s must be reported immediately to the teaching staff in-charge of the lab.
- Damages caused to the laboratory equipment by students due to mishandling must be reported to the concerned staff member for further action.
- The responsibility of lab Assistant is to identify the requirement of lab consumables etc. preferably before the beginning of the semester and give the same in writing to laboratory –in-charge.
- All maintenance works must be carried out & recorded as per the schedules are given by the laboratory-in-charge, without affecting the regular lab class work.
- Issue register for tools issued to the students must be maintained for every Lab.
- Ensure all procurements are recorded properly in stock registers and maintain separate registers for consumables and non-consumables.
- To ensure the availability & proper maintenance of “first aid facilities and firefighting equipment”.
- Avoid other activities during laboratory hours unless assigned by the senior management.
- Adjust laboratory work to a technician, who is familiar with that lab, in case of your absence.
- Ensure that the machine is in proper working condition & then allow the students to do the job.
DUTIES OF LAB-IN CHARGES:
- Prepare a plan of maintenance schedule at the beginning of the semester and make sure that it is carried out by the technician in a proper manner.
- The lab-In charge should take necessary steps to procure additional equipment / other materials required through HOD.