STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE FOR ELECTRICITY POLICE
The policies guiding the Electrical Maintenance unit can be grouped under four categories:
1. Policies with respect to Initial / base infrastructure assessments.
2. Policies with respect to electrical upgrades.
3. Policies with respect to electrical maintenance services.
4. Policies with respect to procurement of electrical materials.
Procedures adopted to achieve these policies are listed as follows:
- Analysis of facilities / infrastructure’s base electrical distribution network using necessary assessment tools and determination of existing electrical parameters.
- Generation of “As built electrical distribution diagrams”
- Generation of the electrical distribution upgrades diagrams to accommodate biotech / Lab equipment, IT infrastructure in line with acceptable international standards.
- Analysis, designs and sizing of suitable primary backup systems (generators), and passing recommendations to the management
- Analysis, designs, and sizing of suitable secondary backup systems (inverters and UPSs), and passing recommendations to the management.
- Analysis, designs and sizing of suitable intercom services infrastructure.
- Preventive maintenance: routine and periodic maintenance checks are carried out, upgrades are done where necessary, and the wiring diagrams updated.
- Predictive maintenance: Planned power outages are carried out to enhance maintenance services. This exercise is usually communicated to staff and personnel to allow for seamless work flow.
- Repairs and replacements: Repairs and replacements are carried out on the electrical consumables
- Proper electrical stock list and inventory is maintained on the electrical materials and a period update is sent to the management.
- Recommendations are made on the electrical materials type, and forwarded to the procurement unit for sourcing.